Residential Fire in Ramapough Cirque Development

On the evening of Sunday, November 10, 2019, at 18:35:58, the Suffern Fire Department was dispatched to 5 Chippewa Court in the Ramapough Cirque development for an unknown type fire inside the residence. Deputy Chief Jeremy Kaufer arrived on scene within three minutes of dispatch and observed heavy smoke pushing from the third floor of a three-story townhouse. Rockland County Fire Dispatch, 44-Control, was advised and the request was made to upgrade the incident to a working structure fire, with automatic mutual aid from the Tallman Fire Department for their F.A.S.T. (Firefighter Assist and Search Team) to the scene. In addition, Deputy Chief Kaufer requested an aerial ladder from the Mahwah Fire Department and an engine from the Hillburn Fire Department to the scene, and an additional engine from the Sloatsburg Fire Department to standby at the Suffern Volunteer Hose Co.1 to answer any additional calls for service within the Village while members operated to extinguish the fire. The first apparatus to arrive was 19-99 with members from the Suffern Hook & Ladder Co.1. At this juncture, heavy fire was visible from multiple windows on the third floor of the residence. Crews from 19-99 entered the structure and started a primary search for the possibility of trapped residents. Shortly thereafter, 19-2000 arrived on scene with members of the Volunteer Hose Co.1 and attack lines were stretched while the chauffeur secured a water source from the nearby hydrant. Two hose lines were deployed to the third floor of the residence and the initial fire attack commenced. Within minutes a large amount of fire inside of the residence was extinguished. Due to the need for additional manpower, the F.A.S.T. from the Tallman Fire Department was put to work, and the Hillcrest Fire Department was requested to the scene with their F.A.S.T. Additionally, the engine from the Sloatsburg Fire Department initially requested to standby at the Volunteer Hose Co.1 was redirected to the scene with their manpower, and the Monsey Fire Department was dispatched to standby within the Village for all other calls for service. The fire was contained to the third floor of the residence, with smoke and water damage throughout. Firefighters were able to prevent the spread of fire to many additional residences, except for minor extension in the attic of one adjoining unit. The incident was brought under control in just under two hours, with all units clearing the scene shortly passed 9:30pm.